The tenth Stellenbosch Annual Seminar on Constitutionalism in Africa (SASCA 2023) will be held at the STIAS-Wallenberg Research Centre from Tuesday 19 September to Friday 22 September 2023.
The series of seminars is funded through a STIAS grant from the Swedish Riksbankens Jubileumsfond. As in the preceding five years, this seminar is jointly organised by
- ICLA (the Institute for International and Comparative Law in Africa) of the Faculty of Law, University of Pretoria, contact prof Charles Fombad, email [email protected], and
- STIAS (the Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study), contact prof Johann Groenewald email [email protected], in partnership with
- SARChI (the South African Research Chair in Multilevel Government, Law and Policy) at the Dullah Omar Institute, University of the Western Cape, contact prof Nico Steytler email [email protected], and
- KAS (the Konrad Adenauer Stiftung) – Rule of Law Program for Sub-Saharan Africa, contact Dr Stefanie Rothenberger email [email protected].
The theme for the SASCA 2023 seminar is Ethnicity and Constitutionalism in Africa.
Participants are drawn from African legal scholars, judges and legal practitioners as well as local and international scholars who have researched and written on the theme of the seminar.
All the papers presented during the seminar will be peer reviewed for publication in a volume of the new series, Stellenbosch Handbooks in African Constitutional Law, which is published by Oxford University Press.
- SASCA 1oth Anniversary programme – 19 September 2023
- Conference programme – 20-22 September 2023
- View and download the Call for papers here.
- Use the links for information about visa requirements and for visitors information regarding Stellenbosch and vicinity. For your convenience, also find a downloadable map of the area.
Please note that there is no registration fee for the seminar, but that attendance is by invitation and registration is required beforehand. For enquiries about registration, contact Ms Nel-Mari Loock, at [email protected]. For enquiries about accommodation and travel arrangements, contact Ms Georgina Humphreys, at [email protected].